Monday, January 30, 2023

Kosmik Musik EX#10/ Selected by Tetsuya Nagato- by Jun Takahashi

For this week's Japanese Listening/Viewing, I listened to a Spotify playlist curated by Jun Takahashi- a Japanese Fashion designer. The playlist itself served as a unique look into some genres of Japanese music that I was unfamiliar with- including ラップ、 クラシック、 and ロック. I particularly enjoyed Kawamatastee (Lo) by HIBAHIHI + Silent Poets as well as Barbee Boys  なんだったんだ? 7Days.

 Hibahihi + Silent Poets - 001 | Releases | Discogs

 I was able to understand a surprisingly large amount of the HIBAHIHI- in there reference to the influence of Western culture on Japan- ranging from the TNT network to heavy metal and the continued interaction with God in society. It also plays on the Are- Kore relationship to discuss the presence of true beings compared to those simply there for the fame and fortune.

なんだったんだ? 7Days/BARBEE BOYS/バービーボーイズ|昭和歌謡|ディスクユニオン・オンラインショップ|diskunion.net

 なんだったんだ? 7Days by contrast is much more uplifting thematically, with the pursuit of becoming a hero and the refusal to waste a week due to the presence of a singular bad day. I will be quick to note, that much of my understanding stems from the Katakana cognates used throughout the song.

 If anyone is interested in giving the playlist a listen, I've attached it here:

 https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2nkHO8APEiVJTScNd2IFKb?si=9c14723163264dfd

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any other specific songs you would recommend I listen to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh!! I'll definitely give them a listen. 私も日本のおんがくが大好きだんです!

    ReplyDelete

みんなで Japanese Conversation [1] and Streamers the Band

 For this weeks Listening/Watching excersize, I took a dive into two mediums I typically don't explore- the unscripted conversation of も...