Monday, February 6, 2023

Dashi Journey- Documentary

 

For this week's Japanese Listening/Viewing, I watched the mini documentary Dashi Journey by Eric Wolfinger.  The documentary itself was an interesting look into the world of the Japanese culinary world- tracing the various steps required in the creation of dashi, a stock that serves as a base for many different dishes in Japanese cuisine. Guiding the journey is the head chef of L'Effervescence Namae Shinobu, a three star Michelin restaurant. In the video we learn about the rigorous steps of Kombu farmers in Hokkaido to the Katsuobushi farmers in Makurazaki.

 

      


Despite the arduous nature of the production of the different ingredients, the producers of the ingredients have dedicated generations of lives into producing high quality basics for Japanese cuisine around the world.

In terms of my ability to understand the dialogue within the Documentary, I found myself pretty reliant on the english subtitles as the speech patterns focused on a combination of casual speech and instruction based dialogue that I was unfamiliar with. I was however able to follow some of the steps that the Katsuobushi farmers took to achieve their love of their craft, and the different role they played in producing content.

               

2 comments:

  1. Looks interesting! I have been trying to learn more Japanese cooking, so I will have to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 日本のりょうりはおいしいですね。Is that Michelin the same as the tire company?

    ReplyDelete

みんなで Japanese Conversation [1] and Streamers the Band

 For this weeks Listening/Watching excersize, I took a dive into two mediums I typically don't explore- the unscripted conversation of も...