Sunday, October 2, 2022

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

 Jiro Dreams of Sushi serves as an interesting look into pinnacle of sushi, that of restaurant Sukiyabashi Jiro, the first sushi restaurant ever to receive the honor of earning three Micheline stars. The film itself was similar other food documentaries that I have seen, going over the inter workings of the establishment, its sources, as well as other aspects that differentiate them from others. Some of the ways in which the film were unique were its inclusion of Japanese familiar expectations and traditions, including the ideas of the oldest son taking over the family shop, the creation of an apprenticeship in order to hone ones skills and the Tsukiji fish market that I learned about in the other mini documentary.


 

The documentary was fun and relaxing, giving me a crash course on how sushi culture has changed as well as invoking a craving of nagiri or makizushi for myself. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I understood, including the ability to follow events over peoples timeline(as they mention their age), as well as going about their daily task.

No comments:

Post a Comment

みんなで Japanese Conversation [1] and Streamers the Band

 For this weeks Listening/Watching excersize, I took a dive into two mediums I typically don't explore- the unscripted conversation of も...